Hughley is a village about five miles from Much Wenlock in Shropshire. The Church of St John the Baptist is celebrated in A Shropshire Lad, A E Housman's much-loved cycle of verses published in 1896.
Housman writes: 'The vane on Hughley steeple, veers bright a far known sign. And there lie Hughley people, and there lie friends of mine.' He was, however, employing artistic licence as there is no steeple at Hughley, although it does have a brick and timber bell tower.
Click on each image for more information